Check for Short to Battery (-)
Perform the following steps to check for a short to the battery (-).
1. Measure resistance between R1 (#907) and battery ground, and W1 (#416) and battery
[a] If either measured resistance is less than 1,000 , then that wire is shorted to the
battery (-). Replace the harness and refer to section 18.3.7.
[b] If the measured resistance is greater than 1,000 , refer to section 18.3.6.
Check for 5 Volt Open
Perform the following steps to check for a 5 volt open.
1. Plug in the 30-pin connector for the engine sensor harness.
2. Turn ignition ON.
3. Measure voltage between cavity D (#452) and C (#416) of the actuator connector.
[a] If the measurement is less than 4.5 volts, wire #416 is open. Repair the open or
replace the harness. Refer to section 18.3.7.
[b] If the measurement is between 4.5 and 5.5 volts, refer to section 18.3.2.
Perform the following steps to verify repairs.
1. Plug all connectors in.
2. Start and run the engine.
3. Plug in the DDR and read the codes.
[a] If no codes are logged, troubleshooting is complete.
[b] If code p 051/4 is logged, please review this section from the first step to find the
error. Refer to section 18.3.1. Then, contact Detroit Diesel Technical Services.
All information subject to change without notice.
6SE497 9709 Copyright © 1997 DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION