25. APPLY LIGHT COATING OF GAA TO NEW SEAL (34) AND INSTALL SEAL (34) IN RETURN CAP
26. USING TORX SOCKET, INSTALL RETURN CAP (35) AND TWO NEW SCREWS (36) IN RACK
PISTON (30). TIGHTEN SCREWS ALTERNATELY TO 14-22 LB-FT (19-30 N.m).
W A R N I N G
Do not allow valve housing to move more than 2.72 in. (69.1 mm) away from
rack piston. If this occurs, balls will be out of place resulting in possible loss
of steering and injury to personnel.
C A U T I O N
During step 27, do not allow poppet (31) to touch valve housing (9). To do
so will result in incorrectly preset poppet.
27. ROTATE INPUT SHAFT (16) INTO AND OUT OF RACK PISTON (30) SEVERAL TIMES WHILE
CHECKING FOR SMOOTH MOVEMENT.
28. IF INPUT SHAFT (16) DOES NOT MOVE SMOOTHLY, REMOVE BALLS (33) AND RACK PISTON
(30) AND REPEAT STEPS 21 THRU 27.