57.3 TROUBLESHOOTING FLASH CODE 57
The following procedure will troubleshoot Flash Code 57.
Perform the following steps to check for codes.
1. Turn vehicle ignition switch ON.
2. Plug in the diagnostic data reader (DDR).
3. Visually check the DDR for codes.
[a] If code 249/12 is logged, refer to section 57.3.2.
[b] If no codes are logged, refer to section 9.1.
[c] If code 254/12 is logged, and no other codes are logged, replace the ECM.
Refer to section 9.1.
Perform the following steps to verify codes.
1. Clear codes with DDR.
2. Start and run the engine for one minute.
3. Check CEL for codes.
[a] If CEL is on with code 249/12 displayed, refer to section 57.3.3.
[b] If CEL is not on and no codes are displayed, refer to section 57.3.5.
Check for OEM Devices
Perform the following steps to check for OEM devices.
1. Turn vehicle ignition OFF.
2. Determine if any OEM equipment utilizes the J 1922 data link. See Figure 57-2.
[a] If no OEM devices are installed, refer to section 57.3.4. Refer to step 2
All information subject to change without notice.
6SE497 9709 Copyright © 1997 DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION