Check for Short to Battery +
Perform the following steps to check for a short to battery.
1. Remove both fuses to the ECM.
2. Disconnect the vehicle harness and 5-way power connectors at the ECM. See Figure 38-5.
3. Measure resistance between socket W1 on the engine harness connector and socket B3
of the vehicle harness connector, and between W1 and the 5-way power harness sockets
A and C.
[a] If the resistance measurement is greater than 1,000 or open, refer to section 38.3.11.
[b] If the resistance measurement is less than or equal to 1,000 , a short exists between
sockets where less than 1,000
was measured. Repair short and reinsert fuses.
Refer to section 38.3.12.
ECM Vehicle Harness Connector
38.3.10 Check for Short to Ground
Perform the following steps to check for a short to ground.
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Remove jumper wires.
3. Measure resistance between sockets M1 and Y2 on the engine harness connector. Also
measure resistance between socket M1 and a good ground.
All information subject to change without notice.
6SE497 9709 Copyright © 1997 DETROIT DIESEL CORPORATION