W T E C I I I E L E C T R O N I C C O N T R O L S T R O U B L E S H O O T I N G M A N U A L
APPENDIX B CHECKING CLUTCH AND RETARDER PRESSURES
5. Be sure that transmission sump fluid temperature can be measured (Pro-Link® 9000 diagnostic
tool may be used for this purpose).
6. Be sure that the transmission has enough fluid for cold operation until an operating temperature
fluid level can be set.
7. Bring the transmission to normal operating temperature of 7193ºC (160200ºF). Check for fluid
leaks in the added pressure gauge/transducer lines. Repair leaks as needed. Be sure that fluid level
1. Use the Pro-Link® 9000 diagnostic tool, which allows checking of individual range clutch pres-
sures, with the vehicle stationary. Consult Appendix G or the Pro-Link® 9000 operating instruc-
tions for Action Request and select Clutch Test Mode. Follow instructions to check clutch pres-
sures in individual ranges.
Check lockup clutch pressure by driving the vehicle in a range where lockup can be obtained. Record
the pressure values at the engine speed and sump fluid temperature values shown in Table B1. The
lockup clutch is functioning correctly when engine speed and turbine speed values are equal as
recorded from the Pro-Link® 9000.
2. Consult Table B1 and locate the transmission model that you are testing.
3. Operate the transmission at the conditions shown in Table B1 and record engine speed, transmis-
sion sump fluid temperature, main hydraulic pressure, and clutch pressures in the ranges where a
problem is suspected.
Table B1. Clutch Pressure Test Conditions
All (except MD 3070)
2C (2nd range start)
MD 3070 Idle Check
MD (except 3070)
B 300/B 400 High Speed
C1 C4 LU
C1 C3 LU
C1 C2 LU
C2 C3 LU
C2 C4 LU