4. After the release stud has been inserted far enough to engage the pressure plate,
turn the release stud ¼ turn to lock the cross-pin into the pressure plate.
5. Install the washer and nut (used in stowage) on the release stud.
6. Tighten nut until 2½ to 2¾ inches of the release stud remains above the nut.
Spring brake is then fully caged.
2-24. Manually Releasing (Resetting) the Spring Brake Power Springs.
If the power springs in the spring brake chambers have been compressed, they should
be reset before the truck is returned to service.
To reset the spring brakes:
1. Remove the nut and washer from the release stud.
2. Disengage the cross-pin from the pressure plate and remove the release stud
from the spring chamber.
3. Replace cap over the hole in the spring chamber.
4. Insert release stud in the stowage pocket and install the washer and nut.
2-25. Towing the M915A1 Truck Tractor.
If the truck must be towed with the rear wheels on the ground, notify Organizational
Maintenance to send a wrecker or tow vehicle and a TM 9-2320-283-20 maintenance
manual and tools needed to disconnect the transmission-to-forward rear axle prop shaft
or to pull the rear axle shafts. Refer to FM 21-305 for general guidelines on vehicle
recovery and use of warning kits and signals. FM 21-305, FM 20-22 and the following
procedures provide instructions for towing.