5-6. TEST EQUIPMENT (continued).
(1) Disconnect the circuit being tested. To be safe, disconnect the battery ground cable.
(2) Set up and zero the multimeter (para b).
(3) If the test in this manual calls for an Ohms Range different than RX or Xl,
set the selector switch to that range (like RX10 or X10).
ZERO the meter whenever you change ranges.
(4) With any of the three multimeters, connect the probes across the circuit or item to
be measured. Figure 5-7 below shows measuring the resistance of a temperature sending unit:
(5) Read the meter. If the meter switch is on the RX1 or X1 range, the reading is
taken directly from the top scale. If the meter switch is on a different range, (fig. 5-8), multiply
the reading on the scale according to the table below.
X1 or RX1.
READ NUMBER ON SCALE.
X10 OR RX10
MULTIPLY READING BY 10.
X100 OR RX 100.
MULTIPLY READING BY 100.
X1K OR RX1K.
MULTIPLY READING BY 1000.
X10K OR RX10K.
MULTIPLY READING BY 10,000.
(REMEMBER: K = 1000)
Figure 5-8. Ohms Switch Settings