19-3.1. TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE ASSEMBLY REMOVAL
(SERIAL NUMBERS 300000 AND ABOVE)
This task covers:
Equipment Condition (Cont'd)
General mechanic's tool kit:
· Sealed converter housing covers removed
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
· Cooling system drained
Engine/transmission support sling
· Transmission oil dipstick removed
(TM 9-2320-387-24-2, Appendix D, Figs. 81-97)
· Transfer case guide cable removed
General Safety Instructions
· Allow transmission/transfer case to cool
before performing this task.
· Torque converter and transmission must be
removed as an assembly and transmission
must be level.
· Engine access cover removed
· Do not use hands to free
transmission/transfer case assembly of
· Muffler support bracket removed
hangups or snags.
Allow transmission/transfer case to cool before performing this
task. Failure to do this may cause injury.
Cover or plug all open lines and connections immediately after
plugs prior to connection.
Raise and support rear of vehicle (TM 9-2320-387-24-1)
· Have drainage container ready to catch fluid.
· Tag hoses for installation.
Disconnect transmission vent line (9), transfer case vent line (4), and main vent line (6) from vent
Loosen clamp (2) and remove coolant hose (3) from transfer case inlet tube (1).
Loosen clamp (7) and remove coolant hose (8) from transfer case outlet tube (10).
Loosen hose clamp (15) and disconnect outlet hose (16) from oil cooler line tee (14).
Loosen hose clamp (12) and disconnect inlet hose (11) from oil cooler line tee (13).