15-5. RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD REPAIR
This task covers:
General mechanic's tool kit:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
Maintenance and repair shop equipment:
automotive (Appendix B, Item 2)
· Right intake manifold removed
· Rocker arm shafts and pushrods removed
Gasket (Appendix a, Item 53)
Pipe sealing compound (Appendix C, Item 62)
· Fuel injection return hoses removed
Cylinder head lifting device
(Appendix D, Fig. D-111) (Optional)
· Fuel injection nozzles removed
· Glow plugs removed (TM 9-2320-387-24-1).
General Safety Instructions
Cylinder head must be supported during
removal and installation.
Cylinder head must be supported during removal and
installation. Failure to support cylinder head may cause injury to
personnel or damage to equipment.
Cover or plug all hoses, connections, and openings immediately
or plugs prior to connection.
Remove cold-advance switch (2) from cylinder head (1).
Remove seventeen capscrews (3) from cylinder head (1) and cylinder block (5). Discard capscrews (3).
Use of cylinder head lifting device is optional.
2.1. Install cylinder head lifting device (1.3) on center of cylinder head (1) with two washers (1.2) and
3. Remove cylinder head (1) and gasket (6) from cylinder block (5). Discard gasket (6).
3.1. Remove two capscrews (1.1), washers (1.2), and cylinder head lifting device (1.3) from
cylinder head (1), if installed.
4. For cylinder head (1) and valve repair procedures, notify general support (TM 9-2815-237-34).
Refer to TM 9-2320-387-24-1, for extraction of broken bolts.
Head gasket must be used without a sealer. Sealant may cause
leaks or damage to engine.
Install head gasket (6) over dowel pins (4) on cylinder block (5).