8-4.1. RADIAL TIRE, WHEEL, AND RUBBER RUNFLAT MAINTENANCE (24-STUD)
This task covers:
b. Inspection and cleaning
General mechanic's tool kit:
Wheel removed (TM 9-2320-387-24-1).
automotive (Appendix B, Item 1)
General Safety Instructions
Maintenance and repair shop equipment:
· Do not use tire machine.
automotive (Appendix B, Item 2)
· Ensure tire is totally deflated before
removing wheel locknuts.
· Never use tubes in wheel assemblies.
Torque adapter, 9/16-in. (Appendix B,
· Rim surfaces must be kept clean and free of
rust and dirt.
Socket adapter (Appendix B, Item 135)
· Never use wheel assemblies with damaged
· Never inflate a wheel assembly with the
Twenty-four locknuts (Appendix A, Item 84)
wheel locknuts removed.
O-ring seal (Appendix A, Item 280.3)
· Never inflate a wheel assembly without
Locknut (Appendix A, Item 86)
first checking wheel locknut torques.
O-ring (Appendix A, Item 232)
· Do not exceed recommended tire inflation
Lubricant (Appendix A, Item 192)
Detergent (Appendix C, Item 25)
· Always use an OSHA approved tire
Sealing compound, if required
inflation cage and a clip-on air chuck for
(Appendix C, Item 61)
· Never install radial tire on eight-bolt wheel.
TB 9-2320-335-13&P, Appendix E
· Do not use tire machine. Injury to personnel or damage to
equipment may result.
· In all disassembly operations, ensure the tire is totally deflated
before removing wheel locknuts. Failure to follow proper safety
precautions could cause serious injury or death to personnel.
Remove valve core (7) from insert (8) and deflate tire (6).
Use a circular pattern and loosen twenty-four wheel locknuts (2) securing rim halves (1) and (5)
together. If you hear escaping air, do not proceed. Wait until sound stops. When tire (6) is fully
deflated, remove wheel locknuts (2). Discard locknuts (2).