· All hydraulic tests must be performed with hydraulic oil reservoir at least warm to the touch and
at high idle.
· Winch is bypassed for this test, and cable will not pay out or reel in.
· When performing test, winch control valve must be fully engaged or test readings will be faulty.
· Relief pressure is obtained when flow reading drops off and pressure reading on gauge does
not increase further.
8. Set heavy-duty winch control station HIGH IDLE ON/OFF switch to ON position. (WP 0015)
9. Have assistant operate heavy-duty winch IN manual control, while closing off load valve on hydraulic flow tester
10. Note reading on flow and pressure gauges when pressure relief is obtained.
11. Have assistant release winch control.
12. Set heavy-duty winch control station HIGH IDLE ON/OFF switch to OFF position. (WP 0015)
13. Set PTO ENGAGE switch to OFF position. (WP 0015)
14. Shut OFF engine (refer to TM 9-2320-279-10).
Are 20 gpm (76 lpm) flow and 2,850 psi (19 650 kPa) measured at heavy-duty winch motor?
No - Replace heavy-duty winch control valve (relief valve faulty). (WP 0072)Test 2 - Is 2,850 psi (19 650 kPa)
measured at heavy-duty winch motor?
Yes - Replace heavy-duty winch motor. (WP 0068)Test 3 - Does winch operate and shift to lower speed under
TEST 2 - Is 2,850 psi (19 650 kPa) measured at heavy-duty winch motor?
Excessive noise levels are present any time the heavy-duty winch, crane, or retrieval system
is operating. Wear single hearing protection (earplugs or equivalent) while working around
equipment when it is running. Failure to comply may result in injury or death to personnel.
Seek medical aid should you suspect a hearing problem.
· This procedure checks hydraulic pump output pressure after replacing heavy-duty winch relief
· If hydraulic flow tester was disconnected, reconnect tester on hydraulic hoses 2900 and 2901
per previous test.