Ensure that no one is standing directly behind vehicle or semitrailer during coupling
procedure. Failure to comply may result in injury or death to personnel.
· Ensure there is a generous amount of grease on fifth wheel, ramps, kingpin, and steering wedge.
Failure to comply may result in damage to equipment.
· Tractor vehicle and semitrailer coupling should be performed with the tractor vehicle and
semitrailer in a straight line. If wedge of trailer is not aligned with tractor vehicle fifth wheel, adjust
either tractor vehicle, trailer, or both to align them. Failure to comply may result in damage to
· Do not run kingpin up guide ramps to prevent damage to kingpin, guide ramps, or fifth wheel.
15. Move tractor vehicle forward into position in front of semitrailer. Slowly back tractor vehicle under semitrailer
while assistant stands beside front of semitrailer and gives hand signals to aid alignment of semitrailer kingpin
with throat of fifth wheel.
16. Assistant visually checks that front of semitrailer is on guide ramps (10).