Repeat Step (3) for opposite side of fifth wheel (5).
Fifth wheel has two lock release handles.
4. Pull fifth wheel secondary lock release handle (7) completely out as far as it will go.
5. Pull out fifth wheel primary lock release handle (8) and hook it in out position.
6. Push down rear of fifth wheel (5) until it rests on stop (9) below guide ramps (10).
· Ensure there is a generous amount of grease on fifth wheel, ramps, kingpin, and steering wedge.
Failure to comply may result in damage to equipment.
· Tractor vehicle and semitrailer coupling should be performed with the tractor vehicle and
semitrailer in a straight line. If wedge of trailer is not aligned with tractor vehicle fifth wheel, adjust
either tractor vehicle, trailer, or both to align them. Failure to comply may result in damage to
7. Prepare semitrailer for coupling (refer to TM 5-2330-378-14&P).
Ensure that no one is standing between vehicle and semitrailer during coupling procedure.
Failure to comply may result in injury or death to personnel.
8. Slowly back tractor vehicle to within 3 ft. (.92 m) of semitrailer. Stop tractor vehicle.
9. Set transmission range selector (11) to N (neutral).