EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND FEATURES
The M983A2 LET tractor is used to transport construction equipment.
Trailer/semitrailer may affect maximum fording depth. Refer to applicable trailer/semitrailer
operator manual for further information on fording depth restrictions.
1. M983A2 LET is capable of operating in temperatures from -25 to 120°F (-32 to 49°C) and to -50 to 120°F
(-46 to 49°C) with arctic kit installed.
2. M983A2 LET can ford water up to 48 in. (1 219 mm) deep for 5 minutes without damage or without requiring
maintenance before operation can continue.
3. Normal operating range of M983A2 LET is 300 miles (483 km), based upon 154 gallons (583 L) of fuel and
100,000 lbs (45 400 kg) GCWR, traveling over mixed terrain. Varying loads, prolonged idle, use of power
takeoff (PTO), off-road driving, and climatic conditions affect operating range.
4. M983A2 LET is provided with sufficient tiedown points located so it can be restrained in all directions during
air transport in C-130, C-5A, and C-17 type aircraft.
5. M983A2 LET is also capable of being transported by highway, rail, and sea.
1. DDEC IV electronically controlled, eight-cylinder, V-Type, two-cycle, fuel injected, turbocharged diesel
2. Push button automatic transmission with one reverse speed and five forward speeds.
3. Operator controlled 4-wheel/8-wheel drive and high and low range transfer case for positive traction in areas
of unimproved road surfaces.
4. Power steering system consists of basic manual steering system with hydraulic boost. Mechanical linkage
also provides operator control in event of hydraulic oil pressure loss.
5. Fuel system includes one fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel/water separator, fuel pump, secondary filter, fuel pipes,
and fuel injectors.
6. Two front and two rear towing eyes.
7. Manual-release-type rear pintle hook which will allow towing of a trailer.
END OF WORK PACKAGE