CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS - CONTINUED
2. Cleaning Instructions.
· Solvent cleaning compound MIL-PRF-680 Type III is an environmentally compliant and
low toxic material. However, it may be irritating to the eyes and skin. Use protective gloves
and goggles. Use in well-ventilated areas. Keep away from open flames and other
sources of ignition. Failure to follow this warning may result in injury or death to personnel.
· Improper cleaning methods and use of unauthorized cleaning solvents may injure
personnel and damage equipment. Refer to TM 9-247, Materials Used for Cleaning,
Preserving, Abrading, and Cementing Ordnance Materials and Related Materials
Including Chemicals, for correct information.
· Fire extinguishers should be placed nearby when using solvent cleaning compound.
Failure to follow this warning may result in injury or death.
· Cloths or rags saturated with solvent cleaning compound must be disposed of in
accordance with authorized facilities' procedures. Failure to follow this warning may result
· Eye shields must be worn when cleaning with a wire brush. Flying rust and metal particles
may cause injury.
· Particles blown by compressed air are hazardous. DO NOT exceed 15 psi (103 kPa)
nozzle pressure when drying parts with compressed air. Use a maximum of 30 psi
(207 kPa) when cleaning components. DO NOT direct compressed air against human
skin. Failure to follow this warning may result in injury or death. Make sure air stream is
directed away from user and other personnel in the area. To prevent injury, user must
wear protective goggles or face shield.
a. Use solvent cleaning compound to clean any surface coated with grease or oil.
b. Clear out all drilled or tapped (threaded) holes with compressed air to remove dirt and solvent
c. Use detergent and water to wash externally exposed parts that are not subject to grease and oil.
Rinse thoroughly and air dry.
d. Use a wire brush and solvent cleaning compound to remove old sealing compound.
e. Use a wire brush and abrasive cloth to clean all rusted surfaces.
f. After cleaning, cover or wrap all parts to protect them from dust and dirt. Any part that is subject to
rust should be lightly coated with clean lubricating oil.