THE EXISTING HEMTT DRIVER AND PASSENGER DOORS, SKID PLATE,
AND SPARE TIRE ARE HEAVY ITEMS THAT REQUIRE TWO PERSONNEL
OR ONE PERSONNEL AND APPROPRIATE MATERIAL HANDLING
EQUIPMENT (HOIST, FORKLIFT, ETC.) FOR HANDLING. THE WEIGHTS OF
THE COMPONENTS TO BE REMOVED ARE SUFFICIENT TO CAUSE
SERIOUS INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE. CARE MUST BE TAKEN DURING
REMOVAL TO PREVENT INJURY.
HOISTING OPERATIONS HAVE INHERENT HAZARDS THAT CANNOT BE
MECHANICALLY SAFE-GUARDED. PERSONNEL ARE REQUIRED TO
WEAR HARD HATS AND SAFETY SHOES DURING THE USE OF MATERIAL
HANDLING EQUIPMENT TO PREVENT PERSONAL INJURY.
Bag and tag all removed hardware to contain it and aid in re-installation of the
removed components. See Figure 2 and the accompanying table for the existing
HEMTT components that need to be removed and retained for either re-use with
the new armor kit or replacement when the armor kit is removed.
a. Remove the Machine-Gun Mount.
1. Attach material handling equipment (hoist, forklift, etc.) to the top ring.
2. Remove the two nuts, bolts, and washers from the mounting brackets (two front
and one rear bracket).
3. Remove the Machine-Gun Mount from the vehicle.
b. Remove the Driver-Side and Passenger-Side Doors.
1. Attach material handling equipment (hoist, forklift, etc.) to the top of the Door to
support its weight during the removal process.
2. Remove two screws (Item 4 in Figure 3) two washers (5), and the spacer (7)
securing the Doorstrap (2) to the Door Frame (6). It is not necessary to remove
the two screws (1) that secure the Doorstrap (2) to the cab.
3. While one person holds the door, have another person remove the ten bolts (9)
from the hinge point on the vehicle.
4. Remove the Door (8) and the Door Hinge (10) from the vehicle.